Butterfly pea flower first came into my holistic radar while researching for my skincare range Girl Undiscovered. This beautiful azure coloured specimen has an incredible reputation as an antioxidant that quenches free radicals and is packed full of goodness with even higher powers than vitamins C and E. The further I researched the more exciting possibilities I found from this little miracle flower, in particular as a prevention of Alzheimer’s. A team of researchers in India found that butterfly pea increases the levels of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine.3. This chemical is important for communication in your brain and is the one that decreases the most as you age. Butterfly pea improves your thinking and balance naturally because it reverses this process. I have always had huge problems with my memory and is one of my biggest hang ups, so I have decided this is my new tea of choice!
Just when you thought it could not get any better Butterfly pea tea has been shown to have anti-glycation. Glycation is damage to the protein due to sugar molecules and is a major cause of skin aging. Ok now I am going to drink it by the truckload!!! Cheers to younger and healthier looking skin.
The flower has also been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties which works wonders for people who suffer from chronic fatigue and depression. Do you ever/always experience Insomnia? I certainly do, so a cup of this before bed will really work wonders. The first time I made this tea for my mother she was so incredibly calm and relaxed. I see this not only as a prevention for Alzheimer’s but also a wonderful relaxant for people that already have this very sad disease.
Butterfly pea otherwise known as clitoria-ternatea because its remarkable resemblance to the female anatomy makes the most fantastic and beautiful looking tea.
Here’s how I do it:
Charlottes Beautifulmind Butterfly Pea Tea
What you will need :
Dried Butterfly Pea flowers
Lemon grass (optional)
Lemon or a lime
1. Put about 6 pea flowers in glass of hot boiled water until the flowers turn pale.
2. Add some lemon grass if you have it as the tea is not the most exciting flavour on its own.
3. After about 10 mins the water will turn a stunning bright blue.
4. You can add a little honey if you like it a bit sweeter
5. Now this is where the exciting stuff happens. Squeeze half a lemon or lime and watch the blue tea turn to a beautiful shade of magenta pink. Every time I do this is gives me such a buzz!
6. Enjoy the beautiful look, gorgeous taste and brilliant benefits.
To give it even more brain boosting ommph add in some fresh grated ginger. Serve it on ice on those hot summer days.
Watch the magic happen here
As this is quite a fresh summery drink I thought I would make a winter drink too. Move over turmeric lattes!
Charlottes Beautifulmind Butterfly Chai Latte
What you will need:
2 cups water
10 dried Butterfly Pea flowers
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 cup of coconut milk or almond milk
1 TB honey
Here’s how I make it:
1. For the chai tea in a saucepan bring the water and spices to a boil.
2. Whisk the spices in the water. Once the water reaches a boil, turn off the heat and allow the spices to steep in the water for 5 minutes.
3. After 5 minutes, turn the heat back on and add the flowers and honey.
4. Return to a slight boil. Once boiling, turn off the heat. Allow the flowers to steep in the water and spices for 5 minutes.
5. Strain the tea. Reserve 1/2 cup of chai tea for the latte. Store the rest of the chai tea in the fridge up to two weeks for freshness.
6. For the latte if you don’t have a milk frother bring the milk, honey and pinch of cinnamon to a slight boil stirring often. Remove the pan from heat and whisk.
7. Pour 1/2 cup of chai tea in a mug. Slowly add the warm, frothy milk to the tea. Sprinkle the top of the chai latte with an extra pinch of cinnamon.
8. Enjoying this pretty looking, lilac hued, brain boosting and nurturing cup of goodness.
Grind your own cinnamon sticks as you need it as you will get even more benefits from this wonder food.
Where can you find this miracle worker Butterfly Pea Flowers?
A gorgeous friend of mine who lives in Bali first brought the tea to New Zealand for me but I have since been able to find it on the big wide web and purchased it through Siam Natural. Their products are 100% pure from Thailand farm cooperatives regulated by the Thailand Ministry of Agriculture http://www.siamnatural.com
For scientific research on Butterfly Pea Flower click this link